Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) Public Art Proposal
Bank of Montreal (BMO) Calgary Convention Centre expansion, the largest convention centre in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Creating a public STEM / STEAM Science Center as our response to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ), Public Art Competition.
CMLC, CS design team: Stantec/ Populous / S2 Architecture (SPS)
Renderings of BMO Expansion, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5,000 square foot STEAM Maker Space and Science Center in downtown Calgary, Canada. Project intention to bring family audiences to downtown location as part of the BMO Expansion and revitalization project.
The project is literally a “lightning rod” for the downtown community. The copper roof of the STEAM Maker Space and Science Center are conductive rods to create evening light shows (see https://youtu.be/PdrqdW4Miao). The Center will have interactive kinetic artwork, a cafe, science exhibits, and drop-in maker space in electronics, computer programming, and mechatronics.
The Center will have a projection-mapped exterior with digital performances. The interior space will include Laser Cutters, 3D printers, and power tools.
Project Budget: $2.5M usd including building and exhibits
The images below only pertain to the modeling of the experience, to see the process of developing visitor experience; empathy mapping, personas, stakeholder analysis, system mapping, and service design see Discovery Center at Murfree Spring.
Spark Dome Museum Planning, LLC – Project Team:
- Building Design, Museum Master Planning, Exhibition Design – Mark Walhimer
- Computer Modeling – José Ramírez
- Graphic Design – Carlos Jarillo
- Customer Experience Design – Alvaro Alvarez
- Exhibit Design – Bo Hick
- Computer-Aided – Design Rolando Escarzaga
- Research and Label Text – Keith Miller
- Audio Visual Integrator – TBD
- Mechatronics – TBD
- Industrial Design – TBD
- Maker Space Consultant – TBD
- STEM / STEAM Consultant – TBD
- Exhibition Fabricator – TBD
- Building Contractor – TBD
20 Roundup Way SE
Calgary, AB T2G 2W1
BMO Calgary Convention Centre expansion project background information and site plans:
- Rivers District Redevelopment Thread
- Blowing down the Saddledome and building a new Victoria Park
- Design revealed for $500-million BMO Centre expansion